Thursday, February 2, 2017

WHY WE SPEAK OUT

"This is why we speak out. Many of the kids we work with at Skate After School are Muslim and have sought refuge in this country from Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, and Iran. Often escaping war and persecution, they bring with them a unique set of experiences and a vibrancy that is unmatched, their passion and sense of gratitude is palpable. These kids and their families have enriched my life in ways I can't even begin to explain and keep me stoked on the promise of a more inclusive America. In these uncertain times, I am so fucking inspired by the invaluable work of the ACLU and all the people out there fighting for our democracy. Become informed, organize, advocate, donate. Get involved in your community. If I can in any way be a resource to you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me." -Ryan Lay